- What is the deal with my cleric's religion?In Bellotra, faith decays as magic and science take root. The following faiths may be found:
Ama'theya - All-Mother, healer, oracle, bringer of catastrophic change.
Extur of the Bloody Hands - teacher of violence and patron to goblinoids.
Forslas of the Blinding Light - stern patron of law and knowledge.
Mordiggian - Great Ghoul, dark corona-god and patron of ghouls and necropoli.
Seyvyes - the Serpent Divided, trickster and patron of civilisation and sailors.
Saint-George - the pale knight who watches over warriors, wanderers, herdsfolk and the diseased.
Thasaidon - Lord of seven hells, crusher of flesh and will, sun of the Underworld.
The Crawler - god of pain and hunger, placated with offerings lest it curses or consumes you.
Verlore - petty god of the lost and forgotten, invoked when all else has failed.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?There are bazaars where one may buy everyday items from the genies and their thralls, from the Dead or envoys of the Ten Thousand Worlds.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?The envoys of the City of Brass, the armourers of Dis or the dwarves of Celestia forge such things. Most nobles are less concerned about their playthings.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in Bellotra?
Byram al-Marja yet many vie for that title, including those from the Ten Thousand Worlds. Proud like a wizard is a Bellotran insult.
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
The Devil-In-Iron has slain all comers, though it is unjust to call that machine a warrior.
- Who is the richest person in the land?
Saphedamauta, the Pallid Maharajah, whose ringed talons dabble in vice, slaves and esoteric lore with equal capability. A formidable magician and rakshasa, he prefers living like a sybaritic king to striving for arcane mastery. Who can blame him hmm?
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
The temples are the first choice. Yet alchemist and scrivener offer healing at reasonable rates. Envoys of the celestial worlds may help if you are desperate.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions:
poison - The temples of Ama'Theya and Seyvyes are particularly effective.
disease - The paladins of Saint-George have sworn to eradicate disease from Bellotra.
curse - Any skilled spellseller can remove such with sufficient effort and preparation.
level drain - Ama'Theya, Extur and Forslas may help. Mordiggian and Saint-George will refuse.
lycanthropy - Though some prefer Saint-George, I always send the moon-blooded to Ama'Theya.
polymorph - Any competent spellseller can remove such with sufficient effort and preparation.
alignment change - The temples may offer penance through atonement.
death - Ama'Theya, Forslas and Thasaidon offer resurrection. Mordiggian and Saint-George refuse.
undeath - The temples of Ama'Theya, Forslas and Seyvyes will help. Mordiggian destroys unwilling undead in his temples. Saint-George will seek to inter the undead if they cannot be destroyed.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
There are several magic guilds! Those of particular note include:
Conjurers summon otherworldly creatures to fulfil desires or patch the decaying world. Ostentation and power go hand-in-hand with them.
Darkcloaks trade in malicious magics. They also fall prey to powerful magicians and outsiders who snare them with promises of power. Other guilds see them as dangerous, immature amateurs.
Glutton-mages wield potent necromancy but grow corpulently fat and move as if always carrying a medium load. They may have undead servants and some seek lichdom.
Phantasmists weave terrible illusions and can bestow nightmarish visions by touch. The powerful ones are surrounded by eerie phantoms. They are given a wide berth by the fearful.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
Alchemists can be found in gable-house garrets in the Rotten Burgs making their fortunes or peddling wares in the street. Sages usually haunt a library or noble's tower. Other experts are found in various parts of the Rotten Burgs or in the hire of a patron.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
The Rotten Burgs are home to several mercenary groups (some human, others not) who fight wars between The Ten Thousand Worlds.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?The nobles apply their own laws. Lady Ghanila is famed for imprisoning armed travellers. Lord Ratirri confiscates spellbooks if owners refuse to either swear an oath of loyalty or leave his domain in a week. Other nobles are less hostile but no less predictable.
- Which way to the nearest tavern?Taverns are popular in the Rotten Burgs and even around noble towers, a hostelry serves cheer. Travellers enjoy Madame Zsa's hospitality or the ale at the Unicorn's Horn'd.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?Hydra, harpies, tigers and will-o-wisps have hunted the canals since time immemorial. Morlocks and packs of cranial rats raid the Rotten Burgs for slaves. Shoggoths of the Chill Sea terrorise anything they like. Cheer up, there is always something to kill!
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
There are so many wars. Efreeti campaigns of conquest, crusades by knights of Saint-George, infernal pogroms, even feuds between nations too! All pay for soldiers, some even come back!
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
The Coliseum opens daily and gladiators from ten thousand worlds compete. Convicts are summarily dealt with there. Money can easily be made by the skilful. You are skilful, of course?
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
As many as guilds of magicians and temples and more.
Akasheeya are aasimar extremists who take the fight to evil institutions. These actions may appear unjust yet are always justified. Beautiful, wise and tireless enemies of devil, daemon and demon.
Jahat are a circus of tiefling rogues and sorcerors. Motivated by selfish goals, they are sometimes pawns in fiendish games. They live a hand-to-mouth existence in the Rotten Burgs and Spires.
The Kallesh are a mafia of wererats with a history of betrayal and grisly ways to make an example of someone. They own parts of the Rotten Burgs and infest the canal docks. No Kallesh ever turned informer, even to magical inquisition.
- What is there to eat around here?
Plenty! From the blood sausage and pickles beloved of beggars to the exotic feasts of artisans and nobles seeking recognition. Curried meats with delicate flavours and the fruit and spices of ten thousand worlds can be found at bazaar. Strangely-shaped bread (birds, animals and hands are popular) are baked to delight customers.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
So many to choose from… the canals hide sunken payboats for countless schemes. Fallen noble towers hold wealth and death traps. The Rotten Burgs have hoards hidden by dead mercenaries and Chill Sea or planar pirates.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
The captain of the Unforeseen said that there are dragons in the earth. An odd way to sell passage to Carcetus but still… if you want fantastic riches, I hear the shantak-nests hold numerous baubles from their petitioners.
Friday, 4 April 2014
3DPBMCSHMtm: 20 questions about Bellotra
3DPBMCSHMtm, this time Bellotra, decaying nexus of magic and decadence.
Positioned at the edge of the first piazza after the market gate, The Lance And Board is a well-maintained stone gatehouse bought as the cit...
A play by Jose Zorilla performed in Spain on All Saint's Day for over 100 years, the story provides buckets of inspiration, be it the n...
Metric: Pieces. Whether of eight, of mind or meeses depends on the game. DISCLAIMER: Review based on PDF copy provided by Open Design. ...
Igneous Ink This ink is used for ritual purposes, igniting once it dries and burning with a faint orange smoky flame equal to candlelight. ...
Portal Gate by Elartwyne@DeviantArt In this part of the 3DPBMCSHMtm , some mechanisms of travel between the worlds are considered. Thes...