Monday 22 August 2011

tattooed alaunt

No. Enc.: 1 (1d4)
Alignment: Neutral
Movement: 150' (50')
Armor Class: 6
Hit Dice: 2d8
Attacks: 1 (bite)
Damage: 1d6
Save: F1
Morale: 7
Hoard Class: None

These war hounds are tattooed using magic to make them more aggressive and loyal to their owners, usually unscrupulous mercenaries or decadent pirates. As fierce attack dogs, they fight alongside and for their owners. A quirk of the magic in the tattoos means tattooed alaunts will not breed with each other, even if they have the same owner. However, if they breed with other dogs, the pups will have the distinctive tattoos. More than one border lordling has a kennel full of tattooed alaunts loyal to him.

(inspired by Noisms' recent posts on dog variants and Zak's table of war dogs).

4 comments:

  1. Cool! I don't know how you picture these, but for the description conjures images of mastiffs or pit bulls with Celtic or Maori style tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The alaunt is a proto-mastiff so that's fitting. I'd pictured hieroglyphs or cuneiform but Ogham or knotwork would suit them well.

    As for the pitbull with Maori designs - that will be appearing in the first Dresden Files game I'm running. Too cool an image not to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was a mastiff too. Great mental image!

    If you don't mind, I'll be adding this post to this month's RPG Blog Carnival that I'm hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be my guest, I've already added the logo and link.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Greatest Hits