- Fingerbone skeleton key with jet inlaid handle. The key opens any non-magical lock on 1 in 6 (d6). If used by a thief to pick locks it adds +2 to the attempt. Magical, puzzle or combination locks foil it.
- Velvet pouch (worth 1gp) holding irregular one-inch pieces of carved cedar wood - the pieces of a puzzle box. Assembly takes a minute and a successful Intelligence check. The box has a sliding lid and is 6 inch by 2 inch by 1 inch. It holds up to 120 stacked coins or a scribe's quills and vial of ink.
- A gold-plated human-sized ceremonial pauldron (plate mail shoulder-piece) etched with reclining nudes. Three thumb-width gold chains form an epaulet. Useless armour, excellent gaudy bling.
- A scabbard of black ash and bronze decorated with a sneering bearded face with tourmaline eyes. Suitable for longsword or similar straight blade. Of sufficient quality to be enchanted.
- Well-worn ivory drinking horn etched with indigo leaf patterns and silver cap attached by slim yet robust chain.
- Brass pocket tin painted with dragons. Inside lurks 3 twists of resinous pipeweed. Each twist causes the smoker to be passive (-4 to Will and to hit rolls) yet relaxed and reasonable (+2 to Charisma for reaction rolls) for the next 2 hours.
- Cream-coloured meerschaum pipe with bowl carved as a reclining dragon's head. Smoke billows from the dragon's mouth. This delightful pipe gives a +2 reaction bonus with pipe-smokers.
- Ivory bracer used for archery, can be adjusted to fit any medium-sized character. This well-worn accoutrement has a runic inscription which is 30% legible. Those who can make it out will read 'Sure hands and swift arrows'.
- Silver snuff box decorated with raised lion emblem. If opened it holds 5 gold pieces and no snuff.
- An embroidered purple velvet bag with violet drawstring (worth 1gp). Inside are 1d20 dead beetles, commonly believed to be an aphrodisiac, in actuality a mild ingested poison (consuming more than one beetle forces a save or take 1 Strength damage, feel fever-warm for 30 minutes per beetle).
Wednesday, 22 February 2012
ten unlikely treasures
Positioned at the edge of the first piazza after the market gate, The Lance And Board is a well-maintained stone gatehouse bought as the cit...
Igneous Ink This ink is used for ritual purposes, igniting once it dries and burning with a faint orange smoky flame equal to candlelight. ...
Metric: Pieces. Whether of eight, of mind or meeses depends on the game. DISCLAIMER: Review based on PDF copy provided by Open Design. ...
A play by Jose Zorilla performed in Spain on All Saint's Day for over 100 years, the story provides buckets of inspiration, be it the n...
Sometimes, random doesn't quite cut it - there, I've said it. You need something to grace a hoard that may be of value beyond th...