|Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons|
Sometimes, the architecture is a little extraordinary.
- Altar to eldritch primordial entity. Leave an offering (minimum 10gp x dungeon level) at the top and recite the prayer etched in hieroglyphs at the bottom tier for 7 rounds. Offering disappears in cascade of silvery flaming orbs. 10% chance per dungeon level of getting +1 bonus on next dice roll.
- Black ziggurat offers interdimensional transit to other black ziggurats. 10% chance per dungeon level the ziggurat is activated when ascended and transports you somewhere very different indeed.
- Elevator upon top tier that transports to megadungeon location with a 10% per dungeon level chance of working. Elevator ascends or descends depending on relative altitude to ziggurat. Jumping off early has a 50% chance of stranding you in the Nine Hells (DM's choice).
- Generative ziggurat augments summoned creatures. Activate by reciting chants on each tier as you ascend. Casting a summon spell from the top tier grants creatures summoned +4 to Strength and Constitution for the spell duration. This must be repeated for each summon spell cast.
- Inductor of mystical energies. Any one charged magical item (casting a maximum of 3rd-level spells) left on the top tier of the ziggurat gains a charge per uninterrupted day left there. Once fully charged, the top tier glows with bronze faerie fire.
- Kennel for hounds of retribution. Recite the prayer on each tier then drop a scent-laden item down the grate on the top tier to unleash 1d6+1 hellhounds from lower tiers after the scented individual.
- Meditative center. By reciting the chants carved into the steps and meditating atop the ziggurat for 30 minutes, consciousness is expanded so a meditator can commune with infernal entities.
- Offertory to gods topped with blood-stained chains used to hold man-sized sacrifices. Hieroglyphs on steps bid a pleasant meal in the language of devils.
- Rostrum that amplifies spoken words of those at the top by a factor of two. A whisper can be heard as normal speech and speaking is equivalent to shouting. Actually shouting causes pain (-2 to hit and any Dexterity bonus) to anyone within 30' of the ziggurat. Sonic attacks upon those at the top cause +50% damage and impose a -1 penalty to saving throws.
- Tomb of abhuman dignitary. Hieroglyphs on steps detail mighty deeds, foes slain, royalty ravished and gods defied. 10% chance per level that tomb hasn't been looted; 1 in 6 chance of hideous curse befalling tomb robbers.
- Vestal flame atop hollow oil-filled ziggurat to purify sacrifices provides helpful illumination. Refilling this is done through a hidden port in the third tier. Oil refuelled every sunrise by three acolytes with ewers of consecrated lamp oil.
- Ziggurat for ziggurat's sake. Pay no attention to the priest behind the curtain.